What I would study if I were not in MIS...

Contrary to the central notion of this blog, which is to keep track of opportunities for practical, relevant research in MIS for future usage and study, I am absolutely in love with the philosophy of science. It appeals to the egghead inside me that wants to leave a scholarly mark on the world. And yet, there is something so distant and archane about the way these things are approached. For instance, one of the "open problems in Philosophy", is the Demarcation Problem, which essentially is an attempt to find the line between science and non-science (and yes, there is much more to the story than that). As an application of this notion to MIS, I wonder if we can really call most of what is done in business schools a 'scientific' endeavor. Note that I am not questioning the value or relevance, only whether or not we can really call it 'science'. (Note to self: look at this book by Curd and Cover later.

Of course, I can still study this as a MIS professor, but it sure isn't going to help much in the way of publishing things for tenure - which is the first goal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment